Monday, February 06, 2006

the plot thinkens

A date has been set for the ‘hearing’ or meeting between me, J and GG, our boss, to ‘remedy’ the misunderstanding by J that I’d made S cry in my ‘sarcastic’ email. This is getting a bit out of hand now. Speaking to the lovely H at the Smack after party on Saturday she said to me, and she swore me to secrecy on this, that J had told her that she now ‘wants me out’ of the DSU. ‘She’s determined you’re out!’. J has already got rid of one of our colleagues this year already. A, an ex cocaine junkie who used to work in the city sorting out big banks computer problems; now ‘reformed’ (i.e. he’s just a piss head) he was sacked from his job as dyslexia support tutor for ‘stinking of booze’. After a couple of complaints from students he was summarily castigated for this heinous offence against humanity by having his job taken away from him. Nice one J.

So, the 20th Feb. is the day. I did promise the lovely H that of course I wouldn’t breathe a word of this to anyone (except my blog; which no one reads anyway). Funnily that same night I was chatting to SS, my lovely scouse chum who has just got back to the UK after having served 8 years in a shithole prison in Thailand for pulling a knife on an undercover cop. And drugs. He said that his friend S, who, coincidentally also works in the DSU at the Uni said there is already a couple of complaints pending about her aggressive and confrontational ‘management style’. Mine will make it three. It seems this time she is overstepping the mark a tad. She’s a fucking crazy cunt. Sorry, a bully! In the past I’ve taken a lot of shit from her in the name of understanding her insanity but she has gone too far this time. I’m going to defend myself and clear this mess up. I’m only setting parameters for her that should have been set a long time ago. Besides H said I should stop ‘playing games’ and ‘take less drink and drugs’. But if I did that I wouldn’t be as crazy as I am!

The smack night was a blast; rammed as usual with great people despite there being a split in town for the available crowd. Hip hop at the Fountain, the Crazy Fucking Bitches at Dukes (yes, that is what they call themselves and yes they are!) tVC at the Smack and The Happy Accidents at the Horsebridge. Friendly Pete was playing his last set with us before him and J head off first to Thailand then Australia for a year of partying and travelling. Lucky bastards. DJ Molly made her debut appearance on Saturday, doing warm up for MDM who did warm up for FP. Warren was there pissed up and on top form. T turned up (my ex). She was her usual sniffy self, all hunched and quiet and worried about something but unable to talk to anyone. I’ve given up trying to talk to her and dropped all pretence of the ‘lets be friends’ deal we had when we split. As long as I keep in shallow; keep it nice; keep it polite she is well cool with me. As long as I don’t ask her where she’s been, where she is going and what are her thoughts and plans on anything; don’t mention what I’ve been up to (particularly with other women) and don’t ask any awkward questions about feelings or our past relationship or the future; then we’re cool! That’s what I call balance! Instead we politely kiss each others cheek; say ‘hiya!’ (god, I fucking hate saying that god-awful phrase, and hate people saying it to me). ‘Alright?’ ‘Yes, I’m alright! You?’ ‘Yeah, I’m fine!’ we’ve done our duty. Everyone can see that I still ‘endorse’ her sorry arsed brand of inarticulate silent bitching and full on arse licking of the ‘players’. That woman is soo out of her depth here. A degree in chemistry does not a socialite make. What fucked me off with her was her keenness to show me pics of her trip to Cyprus with her sexually promiscuous skanky ho mate T. ‘These are the pictures of the two guys we picked up on the plane and fucked stupid for the week’ she said. ‘Get the fuck outa my face’ I thought. ‘Oh you should just fuck anyone’ she says; ‘just so I wasn’t the last girl you did it with…’. ‘Get the fuck outa my face…’

Anyway, took a quick half hour out of the Smack to go see the Seren Deputies debut gig at the Horsebridge in Whitstable. A sorry arsed bunch of fat middle aged has beens nervously churn out some ok-ish chilled out ‘Balearic’ style beats. Bear, their lead singer, gives it a bit of Ian Dury-esque vocals on top of some ploddy beats. He’s the best bit of it all. A bit of real presence there. My mate JP giving it a bit of solid bass action but very uneasy. Stage fright I think. They only really pick up when the drum machine is switched on and they have overcome the technical difficulties of a feedbacking loudspeaker. Well done boys! Obscurity and some gigs way down on the bill at the next Glasto Green field festy tent 3 awaits. This is exactly the market they are aiming at anyway!

So I walk in, after paying a fiver, and right in the middle of the crowd is a bunch of the local women, all of whom I know. I work the room and say my hellos to them all; who are all pleased to see me and are grateful for someone observing the ‘greetings protocol’ and making a big fuss of them. I do this to all of them except R who has blanked me out again. I pretend this doesn’t bother me but it does. I talk to CM who tells me her and JP are ‘having difficulties’. ‘Oh’ I say. ‘Yes, I told him to fuck off the other day. He’s not supporting me enough. I’m trying to give up smoking and drinking and it’s been very hard for me’. Poor CM; she’s quirky and kooky and very difficult to understand. She has to produce some artwork for some big feminist show soon to be on. It’s about woman’s empowerment and the theme is ‘vaginas’ I think. She’s thrilled and honoured to be asked but hasn’t a fucking clue what she’s going to do yet. I look over at JP on stage. Now I understand why he’s looking so worried. I end up staying here longer that I should coz I end up talking too much. I take a few shots of the band and chat to EF who shoots some footage. ‘You should have said!!’, she says. ‘I’d have put you on the guest list!’ Damn! ‘You never know’, I say, ‘this footage could be worth a bomb when in the future we talk about how we were at the Seren Deputies debut gig. Could be like that footage of the Pistols at the 100 Club in 1976?’ ‘Could be!’ she says. We both laugh…

Coz of that, and the fact that PD was an hour late with the rig, I missed most of Molly’s set which Mike said she did very well and didn't miss a mix. He really likes her and I’m glad he’s happy with her. She’s a kook but we love her energy and friendliness. So, good one on her. Mikes ex, TW, is a total psycho. Coked out of her tits most of the time she’s paranoid and aggressive. Her little son’s life must be hell as she denies him access to his dad.

Made the mistake of inviting T back to the chill out at mine after but she didn’t turn up. She was at the usual ‘walk with Mitchell’ on Sunday however, mouthing and miming her usual platitudes but keeping everything at a good arms length with everyone. Which is just how I like it now. A part of me still worries about her a lot but I have emotionally pulled very way back from her now and have absolutely no intention of ever revisiting that land again. What a fool I was. She invites me to her birthday party at J&J’s in Margate next Saturday. I’m going, but after buying her series 5 of Six Feet Under for her for Christmas and her not getting me a prezzy in return, I don’t think I’ll be visiting the card shop in a hurry. Besides the lovely S and I are going ‘out dancing’ on Friday night. Blimey, finding something to do local is going to be a nightmare. S and I wake up at 4.30am today and start talking about ourselves. It’s the first real conversation we have had, She wanted to hear my ‘problems’ so I bitched a bit about these women she doesn’t know; J, T and R. Then I bitched a bit more about the job I’m applying for and how I probably won’t get it coz I’ve got a caution for ‘cultivation’ of cannabis i.e. I had a plant. Even though I’m more than capable of doing the damn job.

So, T fucks off from the pub after coming from the Horsebridge to ‘check us out’ (probably coz of R and her distancing attitude to me) , Molly plays a great set as does Pete, JP’s band get through the nerves barrier unscathed and I invite a select band of close friends home to mine after the pub to cane the 2 crates of beer I have and the 6 bottles of wine. Decks are set up, sofas occupied and we all get on with the job of having some fun. Highlights for me; the 2 convo’s I have outlined above. I get also lots of advice about how ‘mad’ J is and always has been and how stupid I’ve been for fucking her. Oh, well. You never listen to your friends’ advice do you? Especially when you know damn right that what they are saying is the truth. Good to see JPH to, who came over coz PD was there. She and I nearly had ‘a thing’ last year but it didn’t happen. She wanted long term commitment; I didn’t. Could have give it a bit of bullshit and got laid but I’m not that kind of guy. Really!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home